Saturday, 16 July 2011

Mirza remarks unacceptable, Zardari tells Altaf

by Syed Irfan Raza

          ISLAMABAD, July 15: President Asif Ali Zardari conveyed on Friday his regrets to Muttahida Qaumi Movement chief Altaf Hussain on what he called “unacceptable remarks” of Sindh’s Senior Minister Zulfikar Mirza as the two sides appeared to be warming to each other after weeks of tensions since MQM’s decision to quit the government last month.

   


 And a presidential spokesman said he expected the MQM to reconsider its decision after the president’s regrets during a telephonic conversation with Mr Hussain, who said his party would support “positive measures” of the government while remaining in the opposition.

 Sources in the two parties said there was a possibility that Ishratul Ibad, who resigned as Sindh Governor on June 28, would resume his charge as a result of backchannel efforts of President Zardari through PML-Q chief Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain.

 Chaudhry Shujaat, who had visited Karachi and held meetings with Muttahida leaders, met President Zardari on Friday to inform him about MQM’s point of view.

 The president’s spokesman, Farhatullah Babar, expressed the hope that friendly ties between the ruling PPP and MQM would be restored. “After President Zardari’s statement on Mr Mirza’s remarks and his telephonic contact with Mr Hussain, it is expected that MQM will reconsider its decision of quitting the coalition government.” Zulfikar Mirza called on the president on Friday. He was summoned by the party leadership to explain his controversial remarks that sparked deadly violence in Karachi.

 The presidential spokesman said: “The President, during the meeting, called for his (Mr Mirza) explanation and expressed displeasure over his uncalled for remarks. The President asked Mr Mirza to be careful in making public statements.” Mr Babar quoted Mr Zardari as saying that neither the PPP, of which he is the cochairman, nor the government would condone “offensive remarks” and added: “Muhajirs, whether in Sindh, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab or any other part of the country are Pakistanis and sons of the soil. Any suggestion to the contrary or any insinuation that tends to undermine their status as nationals or patriotism is abhorrent.” President Zardari called Mr Hussain on Friday morning to convey his regrets over the “uncalled for and unacceptable remarks of Mr Mirza”, the spokesman said.

 Pacifying the MQM chief, the president said the real and greatest threat to the country came from militants and emphasised the need to stand united against the ‘real enemy’.

 “This is time to strengthen democratic political forces, unite the people and build them as a bulwark against militancy and terrorism and not to do anything that undermined their strength. Our young democracy is under threat from militancy and extremism,” he said.

 The present situation, Mr Zardari said, demanded that political forces showed toler ance so that the country, its people and nascent democracy could be protected from elements which were hostile to democracy.

 The MQM chief praised Mr Zardari’s remarks, but said his party would remain in the opposition.

 A source close to Chaudhry Shujaat told Dawn that the PML-Q chief had presented a report to the president based on his meetings with MQM leaders in Karachi and apprised him of MQM’s demands, including removal of Mr Mirza from his position. Mr Ibad could resume charge as governor only after fulfilment of the demands, according to Chaudhry Shujaat.

 The Muttahida’s ministers left the federal cabinet twice before the latest separation, which also included the Sindh governor and the party’s ministers in Sindh cabinet.

Source :  Dawn News 

No comments:

Post a Comment